From McKenzie

Over fall break this past year, I went home to visit my family. On one of those days my sister, my mom, and I were downstairs in our house, sitting close on the couch and watching a show on my sister's laptop. She and my mom were eating grilled cheese for lunch while watching the show. My mom was sitting next to me, and she was half way through her sandwich when she asked, “where is yours?” 

She was indicating that my grilled cheese sandwich was missing. My mother forgot that, about twenty minutes before coming downstairs, she was sitting next to me at the kitchen table while I ate my lunch. 

In response to her question, I made the funny remark of, “you’re eating it.” 

Her whole body froze. Her eyes filled with sadness as she realized what a horrible thing she had done. 

Immediately, I realized I should not have said that remark. Then I started to smile and laugh and told my mother I was sorry; I also explained that it was a joke and put my arm around her and gave her a hug. 

After this, I felt terrible. My mom does not have the same sense of humor she once had. Her comprehension of jokes is becoming harder, and she takes more comments seriously. I keep reminding myself she may not understand my jokes, so I try to keep away from dry humor and sarcastic comments. 

Comments

Popular Posts