Speaking without Words

As my mother speaks less and less frequently, she stares at my sisters, father, and I almost constantly.  When we make eye contact, she smiles with all of her teeth showing, as if relieved that by acknowledging her presence we are still claiming her as a part of our family.  Though we talk about her and to her almost constantly, she only really responds when we address her face-to-face, and then she smiles. 

Almost all of her actions are reactionary, but sometimes she steps up to me and touches her forehead to mine, as if trying to mentally transmit the thoughts she can no longer speak. 

In these quiet moments, she does not move until I answer with “oh, yeah?” or “I see.”  She backs up slightly and nods, sometimes replying with a strong voice, “yeah.”  There is no way to know what she is trying to tell me, but I hope she understands that I am always listening.

Comments

Popular Posts