From McKenzie

In April I attended the 25th annual Alzheimer’s Association Forum in Washington D.C. alongside my sister and my dad. This was my first year attending the forum, so I was excited to advocate for my mom and everyone affected from Alzheimer’s. The first couple of days at the forum, members of the Association presented tips of what to say to the representatives and senators to encourage them to support Alzheimer’s legislation and help in giving more support for families and money to Alzheimer’s research. Then on the last day, everyone marched the hill.

Six of us from Nebraska and one member of the national Alzheimer’s Association office from Chicago met with all three of the representatives and both senators. Well we mostly talked to the aides, but we did talk briefly to two of the five. Throughout the day I found myself becoming more frustrated from talking to the offices. Part of the problem may have been I was tired from walking back and forth across the hill. In my head I imagined our stories of our lives as caregivers,  then throwing out the mind blowing facts of Alzheimer such as, Alzheimer’s will cost the country 1.2 trillion dollars by 2050, or Alzheimer’s is the only top ten cause of death without a cure, treatment or prevention; and then charts showing the rate of Alzheimer’s increasing 68% while other diseases are decreasing would open their minds so they want to come on board for our cause. 

Instead all I kept hearing were the aides saying they know Alzheimer’s is a horrible disease, but the country is going through financial difficulties. So, there is apparently nothing to be done. I realize the country’s financial situation is not great and Alzheimer’s is really expensive, yet if the country does not try and do something about the problem now, then the country is going to pay for it later. I know this story seems as if I am ranting and bashing our government but this is not my purpose. I understand the aides must meet a lot of different groups all wanting support, yet in my mind I thought their responses would be more sympathetic. In my mind I thought if members of Congress knew the sacrifices and struggles families go through for a loved one with Alzheimer’s, then I think action would be taken in finding money for research to find a cure.

Even though I felt a little defeated and frustrated this year, I am not going to stop fighting because I do not want anyone young or old to go through the hardships my family and I are going through.  

Comments

Popular Posts