GO Sara GO!

From Sara, on Omaha's inaugural Blonde vs Brunette flag football game through the Alzheimer's Association:

So here’s the thing of irony: ever since 5th grade, I have wanted to play flag football. I had my dreams crushed when my small town started a flag football league, but they would not allow girls to play.  Maybe the organizers thought girls would get hurt, or break a nail, or slow the game down.  I am not sure.  But my mom knew that I could handle playing with the boys. My best friend at the time had persuaded me to join the boys’ football games at recess the year before. Every day at recess my friend and I would be out there playing football with the boys.  It took us a few months to prove that we could catch a pass, intercept the ball, run and play defense – oh, and all without complaining about a broken nail. They eventually accepted us as decent players, which was proven when we weren’t the last players picked for a team.         
My mom did everything she could to allow me and other girls to play. Some other mothers, who were supporting my mom in the fight for their daughters to play football, came together and decided they would spend their energy elsewhere. So they started a volleyball league for middle school kids. While this league was open to both girls and boys, most of the participants were girls. 
I am so proud of my mom. It was the first time I remember her getting so riled up for something she was so passionate about even if she wasn’t going to win.  In the end, she still caused the creation of a great activity for girls, since our town didn’t have anything for middle school kids at that time. And this weekend I will finally get to play in the flag football game which I probably wouldn’t have known about if it wasn’t for this disease that has overtaken her.  I am sure this is not the reason she wanted to be my opportunity to play flag football, but nonetheless, that is the irony of it. 
So here’s my message to you, Mom – I know you are happy that I finally get my chance to compete in a flag football game. I have had a blast at practices and met some genuinely good people, who are all playing for the same, self-less reason that would make you proud.  Because you have always been my biggest cheerleader, I will cheer my team on loudly Saturday.  GBG! (Go Brunettes Go!)
---
Be sure to check out the RivALZ website for more information on the games being played across the country "to inspire fundraising, awareness and action in the fight against Alzheimer's disease."  http://act.alz.org/site/PageServer?pagename=bvb_homepage

Comments

Popular Posts